Saturday 11 June 2011

In appreciation of...No. 4 - Single Pigeon

Can be found on: Rose Rose Speedway

Now this is a real little gem. This is the track, that I feel could have replaced English Tea on Chaos and been perfect for that album. A shame is was released 32 years earlier!

The point I am making is Paul can produce sheer magic in this kind of song without resorting to the likes of 'You gave me the answer', 'Baby's Request', English Tea' etc. Here he does a song that could have come from a bygone era with sheer class.

Single Pigeon has a beautiful melody and is played in an understated way. It conveys sadness and is a really lonely song which involves you from the outset.

It is fill of lovely little tempo changes and the whole song glides along effortlessley. Single Pigeon is sincere and has meaning rather than coming across clever and tacky like some of Paul's can do. This one IS clever and the polar opposite of tacky.

The lyrics are good and contains one of my favourite couplets. 'Sunday morning fight about Saturday night'

Wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. I could not agree more how beautiful yet simple Single Pigeon is. Everyone and I mean everyone can relate to Sunday morning fighting about Saturday night. Paul without a doubt is a musical genius. But his greatest strength is how he relates to basic human emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more how beautiful yet simple Single Pigeon is. Everyone and I mean everyone can relate to Sunday morning fighting about Saturday night. Paul without a doubt is a musical genius. But his greatest strength is how he relates to basic human emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello English is not my native language, also love this song but I don't think I really understand it. What is he talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes, yes. And it gets better all the time. The end is sheer perfection. His piano is so beautiful combined with his voice that it touches my soul. I get my eyes wet when I listen to it. I just don't understand why, he being so inspired with such a good taste, also started inexpressive songs after the Beatles split. He used to be so genial all the time while with The Beatles.

    ReplyDelete